[development] Encouraging Collaboration

Dan Robinson dan at civicactions.com
Sat Nov 19 03:45:58 UTC 2005

>> IMHO Drupal is going through some growing pains - Dries pointed  this
>> out
>> in Amsterdam when he talked about the phenominal growth of the
>> community.  There is a lot of work to be done.
>

> Correct.  Bear in mind that there always have been growing pains, and
> that there always will be growing pains.  It's perfectly normal.
> What matters is how we counter the growing pains.

agreed. However as the speed of growth accelerates it will place new
strains on the community - IMHO.

> To answer your questions:
>
> 1. Download page: we are working on improving the download page.

great is there a discussion about this somewhere?

> 2. Quantity vs quality: we are working on project ratings.  (Check
> with Boris for the latest details?)

great.

> 3. Who is this product for?  Drupal is for users who want to setup a
> website _and_ for developers who need a platform.

That's reasonable - but pretty ambitious.  There aren't many products
out there that are developers tools as well as non-web developers
tools.  As a matter of fact I can't think of any off hand at all.  This
doesn't mean that Drupal can't do it - it just means that it is new
territory (the fun kind).

> 4. How do things get done around here?  Either you do it yourself, or
> you work on it with others.
>
> So we are working on the growing pains -- even though you might not
> have noticed.

no I actually have noticed - and everyone is doing a great job.  I did
not mean to be negative nor critical - sorry if it came off that way.