[development] Encouraging Collaboration

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sat Nov 19 10:24:52 UTC 2005

Op zaterdag 19 november 2005 09:04, schreef Dries Buytaert:
> (It is also why I fundamentally disagree with the stuff Ber wrote
> about making a choice and giving up one aspect.)

 I think we don't disagree. A diverse community is very good. But IMHO that
communtiy does not have to livz all on one place.

Linux's distro system works great: you have a huge and diverse community. When
I got kernelfreezeson my new/odd AMD, I reported that to mandrake, they told
me it went all the way up to the kernel guys (woo). So, while I have to only
talk to folks trained for helpdesks (mandrake payed helpdesk), I am still
part of the community.

I strongly beleive in Drupal itself as a 'nothing in particular' (not as much
as RoR, but maybe in the direction of typo3-but-then-easy). Around that, a
flock of distro's that are very particular can be maintained.

Too often do I hear the comlpain that 'Movable Type is much better then
Drupal'. This is simply untrue. Not because MT is better/worse, but because
Drupal cannot be compared to a focused CMS.

Now, if we would have Dan Developer maintaining a (maintained) drupalBLOG
solely for blogging, al these endless discussions about
taxonomy/themes/options/usability being too hard to grok would stop. But also
DrupalBLOG could be compared to MT, and would do very, very well.

ATM the model is Joe User <-> Drupal
While, the model could be: Joe User <-> Dan Developer <-> Drupal.

We don't loose feedback. Instead: we then know that when Dan Developer speaks,
or comes with a patch, he does so for hundreds (of thousands) of users. While
in our current situation, there is a lot of buzz. And Joe Users voice (or
issue or patch) is lost in that noise.

I for one, know, that when Boris/James/Adrian/Roland say that we really need
[tm] clean URLS in core, that that weights far more, then when I say "i want
theme_foo to get more info". It is because Bright talks to real users on a
daily base. And not only to these few users that manage to fight themselves
into the forums.
How many of you do not think 'RTFM' when someone asks "how do I delete a
user". That Question itself indeed is a RTFM Q. But it is also valuable,
because if fiften people a week answer that, we have found another usaility
bug.

 Bèr
--
| Bèr Kessels | webschuur.com | website development |
| http://bler.webschuur.com | http://www.webschuur.com |