[development] Another translation module

Rob Ellis rob at web.ca
Sun Nov 20 18:35:02 UTC 2005

I just added yet another content translation module to CVS:

  contributions/modules/tr

Apologies about the name, but 'translation' is already taken,
and I couldn't think of something short-but-meaningful
to use instead... 'tr' was used for development, so I just
left it as that.

The module is a recent complete rewrite of something that was
developed early this year for the Canadian New Democratic Party
web site (www.ndp.ca). At the time, we had requirements that the
existing i18n module didn't meet, and I wasn't aware of the
contributed 'translation' module.

The 'tr' module in it's current incarnation is being used by
my former employer for several sites, in french and english,
english and inuktitut, and french and english and inuktitut...
They're finding it useful.

Some features are:

  - content switching based on language
  - language switching based on hostname or url-path-prefix or ?l=xx
  - per node 'translate' links for untranslated content
  - per language 'edit' links for existing translations
  - generated translation links for use in templates
  - custom 404 page for missing translations (optional -- will
    show untranslated content otherwise)
  - admin node list filtered by language or "untranslated"
  - translated taxonomy term names
  - translated menu item titles

It's a little sketchy in places, and it requires patches to
the Drupal core, but small ones. The patches at the moment
are for DRUPAL-4-6-3.

At least it might be interesting for people working on similar
content translation schemes, and some people might find it
useful as is.

I'm not sure about how to tag this initial import -- since the
patches are for DRUPAL-4-6-3, I thought branching it for
4.6.3 would be the thing to do, but I'm not sure.

Help, comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

- Rob

--