[development] One core, many distributions

andre mcsparkerton at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 23 14:35:19 UTC 2005

> No, it is just right. We know better because we simply know our
> software, the software it depends on, and so on. We are the Gods, you
> are the dust on our feet.

I'm not here to defend or flame Liza (though it seems that she deserves
a little of both)...

I'm just going to toss this out there:

When developers start referring to themselves as Deities - they also
start to believe that they are infallible - and they start to believe
that they know all and can do no wrong.

Such arrogance is the downfall of all empires.

Be great - but also be humble.

Biting the hand that codes your software may be a faux pas - but so is
pissing on the community that gives you your raison detre.

and finally

> Why on earth should we? Why should we give a damn about any of your problems? They are your problems after all, not ours.

If you don't bother to even consider the comments or concerns of
community members - i.e. joe average-end-user or jane super-user - you
are no longer a software engineer or developer - your just a code monkey
flinging meticulously polished elegant and efficient turds of code.

andre
(who happens to like the meticulously polished elegant efficient code -
and appreciates every ounce of effort the authors put into the code -
but can never lose sight of his clients needs - and if the code doesn't
meet their needs - I will have no choice but to do some ugly hacks and
workarounds that even if contributed to the community would never get
past the gatekeeps - and perhaps rightly so)