[development] One core, many distributions

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 16:15:21 UTC 2005

> These modules will have to be rewritten for 4.7 to do exactly the
> same thing they are already doing. This will take time. Time = money.

if (benefits > costs) {
   upgrade_to_47();
}
else {
   stick_with_46();
}

Whether the benefits of upgrading to Drupal 4.7 outweight the costs
of upgrading to Drupal 4.7, is something only you can determine: it's
unique to your situation.  For the exact same reason, people are
still using WinNT or Win98.

> Every time we break backwards compatibility there is a cost.

True, but at the same time we gain things too.  Similarly, not
breaking code often comes at a cost as well; it holds back
improvements, makes code harder to maintain, makes it harder to
customize Drupal, has performance implications, etc.

Clearly, there is a tension between breaking backward compatibility
and not breaking backward compatibility.  Unfortunately, there is no
"winner" because the costs can't be quantified.  Not the absolute
costs.  Not the relative costs.  I'm in the camp that, we are best of
breaking backward compatibility when necessary; it buys us
maintainability and flexibility, which, in turn, makes for a longer
product lifecycle.