[development] One core, many distributions

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Wed Nov 23 22:11:57 UTC 2005

Op woensdag 23 november 2005 17:15, schreef Dries Buytaert:
> Clearly, there is a tension between breaking backward compatibility
> and not breaking backward compatibility.  Unfortunately, there is no
> "winner" because the costs can't be quantified.  Not the absolute
> costs.  Not the relative costs.  I'm in the camp that, we are best of
> breaking backward compatibility when necessary; it buys us
> maintainability and flexibility, which, in turn, makes for a longer
> product lifecycle.

Lets see this is as a test case. But let us measure the "costs" in amounts of
developers leqving Drupal, or even sticking with 4.6 (and thus not upgrading
their contribs, or thus not contributing back to bugs and so in 4.7). And let
us hope that the amount of new developers that are attracted by the easier
development will at least break us even.

I think we cannot quatify these costs, but we can catch an overal feeling.

Ber