[development] SCM discussion.

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Nov 25 09:10:30 UTC 2005

Op vrijdag 25 november 2005 02:10, schreef Gerhard Killesreiter:
> andrew morton wrote:
> >On 11/24/05, Gordon Heydon <gordon at heydon.com.au> wrote:
> >>I think I am most likely in the minority of users that use nesting to
> >>set up a site. I know that with darcs I am going to loss this ability
> >>and I also think with bzr we would as well.
> >
> >I do exactly the same thing for my sites. I hadn't even thought of it
> >being affected by a change of SCM. This is one feature I'd really like
> >to keep.
>
> I use the same with the exception that I usually link to the contributed
> modules' directories rather making a checkout. This also avoids having a
> checkout per site. I of course cannot use the single update command this
> way, but this is not too bad.

I use linking, when I run a stable drupal (463) then I can be sure that the 46
contribs fit with those.
I copy modules when I want to hack them up or when I need to develop on them.

In the last case, I also commit anything to my private SVN and then work from
there. Esp if it is not only me wrking on the code this is really nessecary.

Then all sorts of hackish scripts do nightly updates of CVS into my HEAD in
svn, and with some fillding we can merge changes into our working repository.

now this part is where it all gracefully fails. Both SVN and CVS are simply
not fit for working across multiple repositories with multiple versions.

Ber