[development] Re: [drupal-devel] performance improvements - avoiding big unserialize()

Moshe Weitzman weitzman at tejasa.com
Wed Nov 30 17:21:19 UTC 2005

thanks for providing these benchmarks, richard.

> It is interesting to note that the only way to benefit from
> using APC is to store the array in a file and include it.
> Not worth the security risk, IMHO.

i don't understand this. you get no benefit by just storing the array
directly? for example, apc_store('conf', $conf);

> My conclusion is that using unserialize is quite OK and there
> is no need or benefit to changing the way arrays are stored.

maybe so. the fact remains that we spend significant time during every
request unserializing these large arrays, and if we want to speed up
drupal, we have to concentrate in this area. you can verify this using
xdebug profiler or zend studio. the profiler does not lie.