[drupal-devel] simple and effective comment spam prevention exists and works

Theodore Serbinski tss24 at cornell.edu
Sat Oct 1 15:44:52 UTC 2005

One method we may want to look into. When a session is created a for
user and they are on a page that allows comments, we come up with a
unique hash based on say the node ID and session ID. We store this in
the user's session. When the user goes to create a comment, we pass
this unique hash with a hidden input field and when they click "post
comment" we verify this input hidden hash against one stored in the
user's session. This should prevent most spam comments, IMO.

ted