[drupal-devel] simple and effective comment spam prevention exists and works

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Sat Oct 1 17:31:01 UTC 2005

No, a captcha is very different.

A captcha relies on some output (letters/numbers in a graphic or an
equation to solve) that is human readable/solvable. This is almost
impossible for a bot to decipher and hence  is a good defense.

A referer is trivial to fake. Just put the domain name in the referer
and voila: it is not a defence.

So, it just becomes another arsenal in the arms race that becomes
useless quickly, giving a false sense of securty, wasting effort, and
bloating the code.