[drupal-devel] what do you call a rose?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Mon Oct 3 19:00:45 UTC 2005

> Option 2 is obviously where we want to head.  Despite what we've been
> told, power and flexibility do not *always* have to come at the
> expense of ease of use.  You *can* make things easy for user and have
> it be powerful at the same time.  But it takes a lot of thought and
> effort to get there.  And it also takes a lot of honest listening to
> users who are genuinely confused by the software.  And it also takes a
> huge amount of effort on the part of developers to try to put
> themselves in the shoes of users instead of calling them "stupid" for
> not wanting to waste hours of their life learning a product when
> simpler solutions probably exist.

Here's my suggestion:

  * create a new category.module. It is just like taxonomy, only without
    synonyms or related terms. Those are taxonomic principles, that belong
    in a taxonomic system, not in a categorical system.

  * disable taxonomy.module by default. it will only come into
    play when someone *knows* what a taxonomy is, and enables it.

  * "categories" when category.module is enabled, "taxonomy" and related
    terms/synonyms when taxonomy.module is enabled. taxonomy, being a
    "higher" level of a category, will always trump categories.

Solved.

--
Morbus Iff ( you are nothing without your robot car, NOTHING! )
O'Reilly Author, Weblog, Cook: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/779