[drupal-devel] Drupal and GPL3

larry at garfieldtech.com larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Oct 6 20:59:54 UTC 2005

Some projects are licensed under GPL 2 "or, at your option, any later
version".

A project that is licensed under GPL 2 would require the approval of every
contributor to be relicensed under GPL 3.  Even a fork to GPL 3 would not
be allowed without the consent of everyone involved.

A project that is licensed under GPL 2+ can be converted en masse to GPL
3, but not piecemeal.  For example, if Drupal is under GPL 2+ then Dries
could one day declare "OK, we're now GPL 3+!", and it would be so.  He
would have to if anyone sent in a patch under GPL 3+, in fact.  If he
didn't, someone could fork it under GPL 3+ but then the fork could not
cross-pollenate with the original Drupal.

My reading of RMS' statement (and someone correct *me* if I'm wrong) is
that GPL 3 would allow for "unmodifiable" "download the code here"
functions, similar to how the GNU Free Documentation License allows for
unremovable non-content stuff like colophons <sp>.  That's only an option
for the developer, though, and not required.

That would affect Drupal only if it's currenly licensed under GPL 2+ *and*
Dries decided to move to GPL 3.  (If it's currently GPL 2, then it's
locked on GPL 2 pretty much forever.)

I don't know off hand if Drupal is under GPL 2 or GPL 2+, so I don't know
which would apply to us.  Dries?

--Larry Garfield