[drupal-devel] Improvements abandoned? (was: bug squashing session)

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Oct 11 12:22:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Richard Archer wrote:

> At 12:04 PM +0200 11/10/05, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>
> >Since there will be a lot of developers the bug list can get lengthy,
> >don't be shy.
>
> This is an excellent plan and will go a long way towards
> shortening the backlog of bugs as well as improving the quality
> of Drupal.

Let's hope that.

> But there still remains the problems of:
>
> - all the feature requests and tasks in the queue
>
> - the fact that the queue grows faster than it is processed
>
> - the way unwanted patches just sit in the queue forever
>   without being reviewed and rejected.

Yep.

> A longer term process needs to be established to make sure worthy
> patches are considered and also that reviewers/contributors don't
> waste their time.

Well, Drupal is open source and as such follows the open source
development model. That means it is developer driven and that in turn
means that I scratch my own itch when it comes to patches. This is
also true for anybody else submitting feature patches.

Reviewing somebody else's patch usually does not scratch my own itch,
but might help Drupal as a whole. But even then I mostly limit my review
process to patches which I think make sense. This obviously is a very
personal choice and I won't simply close another issue just because I
don't need or like the particular feature.

I wrote this to explain to you why there are so many patches and why it
is likely that the number of patches will probably continue to grow.

About feature requests or tasks: There are probably some of them that
would deserve attention. But unless it scratches my own itch I won't
work on them. So basically the same as for patches does apply.

Cheers,
	Gerhard