[drupal-devel] fine grained permissions (was Re: [drupal-docs]Permissions page)

Kobus Myburgh ITBJDM at puknet.puk.ac.za
Thu Oct 13 07:55:26 UTC 2005

> Larry triggered something that I had bubbling in my mind for a long time
> already: finer grained permissions.

We can learn something here from large companies (such as Novell). As other Novell admins out there would know, you have file system rights and NDS object rights. Taking only file system rights, any file or folder have the following rights:

read, write, create, file scan, erase, access control, supervisor and modify

And that is only for file system. It sounds daunting, but still they manage to do this without cluttering the interface (too much) with the ConsoleOne application. Maybe someone should undertake a study on how an approach like theirs could be mimicked in Drupal.

Regards,

Kobus