Large mega patches re: E_ALL notices (Re: [drupal-devel] I do not care about PHP 5

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Sat Oct 15 20:31:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Anguo wrote:

> On Saturday 15 October 2005 09:17 pm, Gerhard Killesreiter
> wrote:
> > I have been submitting patches for fixing notices in the
> > past and think that more patches like this should be
> > comitted. Large mega patches are unlikely to make it,
> > though, as experience has shown.
>

> May you say more, please?
> Have 'mega patches' been submitted before to solve all E_ALL
> notices???

No, but small ones have.

> If I understand well Drupal's development model, it all
> boils down to whether Dries wants the patch or not? He

Right.

> doesn't seem to be very active on this list, so I guess he
> doesn't read it.

He rather writes code than discussing less important stuff.

> Has he said anything specific for or against this E_ALL
> issue? There's absolutely no point for us to prepare a
> patch if he's already made his mind against committing it.

I don't like playing Dries oracle. He has previously rejected patches that
fixed notices on the expense of readable code. So I guess you should make
patches that keep the code readable. Dries also does not really like
lengthy patches (who does?). I guess it is easioer to find time for
reviewing and committing multiple short patches than one large one.

Large emails are almost as evil as large patches.

Cheers,
	Gerhard