[drupal-devel] Re: MySQL ENUM vs. TINYINT (possible, > performance boost?)

David Norman deekayen at deekayen.net
Mon Oct 17 00:43:07 UTC 2005

I would bet enum is faster (and no I don't have proof). The analyze
function in phpMyAdmin even recommends enums in places it recognizes
boolean values. Just because mysql would use enum, wouldn't mean pgsql
would have to use bool - it could stay as an integer.

If it makes you feel better to leave tinyints alone, I read this to say
tinyint should stay for boolean values:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/other-vendor-column-types.html