[drupal-devel] MySQL, large keys

Moshe Weitzman weitzman at tejasa.com
Fri Oct 21 11:41:34 UTC 2005

yes, we've been very lazy about this

> I might find time to do some. David also told us that the mysql query
> cache for a table is emtied when a table changes. That means thet the
> mysql query cache for the cache table is invalidated very often.
> Splitting up the cache table into dedicated tables for menu, filter,
> page, locale, default will therefore make the mysql query cache more
> efficient. Also, generally selects will be faster.

you are optimizing selects that are already very very fast. these are single
table queries with a single condition on an indexed column.

i think that further optimizing drupal for the mysql query cache is a more
involved effort. you have to simplify queries in order to avoid DISTINCT(),
COUNT(), SUM(), etc. that often means performing subqueries or multiple
successive queries.

with mysql query cache enabled, i am seeing pages using 50ms of total query
time. not much to improve upon IMO.