[drupal-devel] Is there a semantic module project on the way ?

John Breslin john.breslin at deri.org
Fri Oct 21 15:43:49 UTC 2005

Hiya -

I guess I can repeat a post from the civicspace-dev list here to
describe the idea of SIOC.  It'd be great to have your collaboration
Sebastien:

I met Kieran L. in July, and talked about our SIOC
(Semantically-Interconnected Online Communities) project.  Basically,
what it is is an open specification for describing communities using
online discussion forums or blogs, leading to what some may term
"distributed conversations".  At the moment, online communities are
islands that are not interlinked, and the SIOC ontology has been
proposed to not only link these communities but to leverage data in ways
that were previously unknown.

The initial version of our SIOC specification has been drafted. It can
be used in on its own (having a complete set of terms) or in conjunction
with other RDF formats such as RSS 1.0 (and 1.1).  In terms of producing
metadata, we've started with SIOC exporters for open-source discussion
systems such as WordPress and Drupal / CivicSpace, and more are on the
way.  There are obvious connections between SIOC and the subscribe /
publish module, so I've asked John van Dyk about this.

More info is available from:

http://rdfs.org/sioc/

and the Drupal module is at:

http://rdfs.org/sioc/drupal/

or in the Drupal CVS contributions area under SIOC.

While there are many (useful) classes and properties in SIOC, it can
essentially be boiled down to: Users create Posts that are contained in
Forums that are hosted on Sites, e.g.

   Site -> host_of -> Forum -> container_of -> Post -> has_creator -> User

Posts have reply Posts, and Forums can be parents of other Forums.

Looking forward to your feedback, and of course contributions to the
code :-)

Thanks,

John.
--