[drupal-devel] menu memory usage

Boris Mann borismann at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 14:44:24 UTC 2005

On 24-Oct-05, at 3:30 AM, Konstantin Käfer wrote:

> I don't like the current taxonomy system. I just want a tree where
> I can attach nodes to and let drupal build the complete navigation
> structure. Another disadvantage of the taxonomy system is also that
> building real breadcrumbs is very costly (due to recursion).
> Yesterday, I started a module (named ouline) that uses a nested
> tree instead of taxonomy to classify content. At the moment it is
> already capable of building a breadcrumb with one single query:

Outline sounds good. As noted elsewhere, looking at/working on
Allie's hier.module is probably a good thing (chx has done some work,
too, I think).

I wanted to note that I believe that using the current taxonomy for
outlines (taxonomy menu, etc.) is a bad practice (i.e. the reverse of
a best practice). If it were me, I would recommend using a book
outline...except we don't have book-outline-on-the-fly. Both
breadcrumbs and menus get generated consistently and correctly when
using a book outline.

Cheers,

--
Boris Mann