[drupal-devel] [wanted] mail queue

Pat Collins pat at linuxcolumbus.com
Thu Sep 1 02:00:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:37:57 +0200, Dries Buytaert <dries at buytaert.net> wrote :

> On 17 Aug 2005, at 10:46, Dries Buytaert wrote:
> > Anyone with a mail background that would like to investigate http://
> > drupal.org/node/28604 ?
> >
> > The idea is to create a mail.inc for core that implements a mail
> > queue, as well as provides common functionality such as converting
> > HTML to text.
> >
> > It would be a centralized building block for modules like
> > notify.module, project.module, subscription.module,
> > simplenews.module, etc.
>
> Lots of people showed interest in working on this, though as far as I
> know no one stepped forward to take a lead.  I suggest someone
> creates a _minimal_ mail.inc first.  As soon that is in place,
> everyone can submit patches to extend the mail queue functionality.

I've built a working mail.inc.  Mail can be queued or processed currently.
Mail can be of the variable type (user.module) or can be a node.  Mail can
be throttled per module or globally (still working out details).

> A minimal mail.inc implements a mail queue, an mail-function, a cron-
> function, and a setting to throttle the rate of outgoing mails.  The
> mail-function' should have two modes: 'send mail later', 'send mail
> now'.  Regardless of this mode, the accounting should be correct.  We
> can worry about HTML-mail, embedding images, bounces in subsequent
> rounds.

The only feature from the above I haven't built is the cron-function.  My
coding time is limited until this weekend (job/wife/kids) so will send some
code for review by Monday.

Pat