[drupal-devel] [bug] "Only variables can be passed by reference" to file_check_directory()

m3avrck drupal-devel at drupal.org
Thu Sep 8 17:56:26 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/26033
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/26033

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    base system
 Category:     bug reports

Correction, still applies in system.module, new patch attached.

m3avrck

Previous comments:

Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:44:20 +0000 : danielc

A client of mine just upgraded to the latest snapshot of PHP 5.0.5-dev
and started getting errors when file_check_directory() is called:

Fatal error: Only variables can be passed by reference in
c:\drupal\modules\system.module on line 653

This patch fixes the problem by assigning the values to variables
before passing them to file_check_directory().

Thanks.

(BTW: I'm no longer on on drupal-devel due to time constraints.)

Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:08:21 +0000 : drumm

Patch still applies and does not cause any problems with PHP 4. I am
unable to test on PHP 5.

Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:45:14 +0000 : m3avrck

Confirmed, 5.0.5 final causes this fatal error: Fatal error: Only
variables can be passed by reference in \drupal\modules\user.module on
line 1366

Rerolled patch against latest HEAD. system.module no longer needs to be
updated, only user.module does.