[drupal-devel] [feature] Display comments on own tab like wikipedia (patch attached)

chx drupal-devel at drupal.org
Mon Sep 12 22:24:28 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/24804
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/24804

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    comment.module
 Category:     feature requests

Comment URL is introduced. Instead of node/$nid#comment-cid we have
comment/$nid#comment-cid

Other minor fixes.

chx

Previous comments:

Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:57:10 +0000 : moshe weitzman

Attached please find a demonstration patch which moves comment display
to its own tab on the node view page. Admin may choose this new view or
old view.

The patch needs work still:
- comment control form redirects to the node page after submit. Should
be comment page
- same for comment posting form
- probably more

I hope someone gets inspired to finish this patch. I won't revisit this
for a while.

Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:00:56 +0000 : moshe weitzman

with attachment  this time

Sat, 11 Jun 2005 23:24:12 +0000 : moshe weitzman

oh yeah - also on the TODO list is to comment URLs to always point to
comment.module and never to node/x#comment-cid or node/x#comment-new
and so on. then comment.module can work out whether to show you the
discuss tab or the traditional view.

Sun, 12 Jun 2005 00:56:02 +0000 : Boris Mann

I like the concept. Would want this to be part of workflow settings, so
that comment-tab could be enabled/disabled per content type.

Sun, 12 Jun 2005 02:20:42 +0000 : Jaza

I like the idea - big +1. This is a must for sites that have long
articles and/or many comments - viewing the node is enough bandwidth as
it is, without all the comments getting displayed as well. Also improves
usability, IMO.

Would also like to see pagination of the comments tab (I'm sure you've
thought of this already, Moshe). Something similar to A List Apart
[1]'s system, e.g. node/x/discuss/2 (page 2 of that node's comments).
Or, if the existing pager system demands it, node/x/discuss?page=2.
[1] http://www.alistapart.com/

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 00:41:42 +0000 : chx

Let's discuss! Like do we want to have a reply form on the node display
even if the comments are on the discuss page?

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 00:50:13 +0000 : chx

I have uploaded moshe's patch. Let's try again.

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:22:18 +0000 : Bèr Kessels

I like this approach a lot. However, as i use drupal also for blogging,
would dislike my bog to behave the same. Thus there must be some -easy-
way to get around this. µ

The problem lies mainly in the fact that tabs are not administratable
in Drupals menu admin. And I think it is a very bad idea to add a
config option where to place the comments. We should go for one way,
teh default way, and offer a menu-admin of some sort to change this,
for bloggers and slashdot alikes.

How to achieve this? I see two options, but I really hope people see
more then one.:
- make local-tasks appear in the menu admin (gets a huge +1 from me)
It's a separate issue, though.
- add a config option to the comment admin to allow comments either as
tab or as thread under the post. IMO that config option should not set
a variable, that gets checked every hook_menu call, but it should alter
the menu-entry in the database for the tabs Its possible, I did that
before.

But, as said, I hope others have better ideas. for I really would love
this feature to get in. But I am afraid a huge lot of people will move
away from drupal if we allow tabs only.

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:05:59 +0000 : chx

No, not tabs only. I know the drupal_gotos are giving you this
impression, but will fix in the evening. Also, there is only a
variable_get for node/nid pages and then again, variable_get is double
cached, it's very fast.

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:19:22 +0000 : Bèr Kessels

I know variable is fast, but I was referring to:
&& variable_get('comment_task', FALSE) that is evaluated every node
view.

As well as the setting in the comment options. I am no fan of such
options; However, it seems in this case that setting is sortof
required, unfortunately. So unless others come up with better ideas,
just ignore my previous comment/post.

Another idea: put this in hook_nodeapi() $op == "settings". that way
this setting can be used per type. I can imagine that this makes no
sense for forums and blog entries, yet is very usefull for the books on
that same site.

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:20:36 +0000 : Bèr Kessels

sorry, with "Another idea: put this in..." I meant to say "Another idea:
put the settings for tabs vs threads ..."