[drupal-devel] Help with last push for Internationalization

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Tue Sep 13 14:23:38 UTC 2005


Here is a suggestion:

One approach to take if this does not get into core before the freeze
is to provide a pre-patched version of the file(s) you need changed.

You then describe in the INSTALL.txt that the includes/common.inc file
needs to be patched, and if the user cannot patch, then a pre-patched
version for 4.7 is included (say under a directory called

This makes it less painful for users who do not know how to patch
(which is a pain for most non-developer people).

Since common.inc may change from now till 4.7 is out, wait till it is
released, patch it and provide the patch as part of your module.

On 9/13/05, Jose A. Reyero <jareyero at wanadoo.es> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I dont know if many of you are aware of our latest efforts to have
> multilingual content in Drupal, currently focused in
> Internationalization module (i18n). As I see it, from a business
> perspective, multilingual content it is a badly needed feature for any
> modern CMS, but usually forgotten in most of Open Source alternatives.
> For an interesting read about this subject: http://drupal.org/node/29645
> My  goal for this next Drupal 4.7, was being able to run i18n module
> without patching. And though with latest developments in Drupal, and
> some rework of the module,  less patches are needed, there's still an
> important one left. And really, what makes the difference is not smaller
> patches, but having to patch or not. I'm talking of this single patch,
> still in queue: http://drupal.org/node/29030
> This is also why this module is in kind of 'feature freeze' status. I'm
> not for including more features, that would need more patching, then
> putting away that goal of 'patch free' module, which is what is really
> needed for more widespread addoption.
> I know that applying a simple patch is not a big deal  for any
> developer. But it is for most of end users, most of them just dont know
> what a patch is, and I'm getting dozens of e-mails simply asking about
> patches. Things get even worse when they need still another module with
> patches, like taxonomy_access, which provides some incompatible patch,
> then you have to apply it manually. And, in general, maintaining a
> module with core patches is just exhausting, as they usually need to be
> updated for any minor release or security fix.
> So please, would you either support it -the pending patch-, propose a
> better alternative, or just tell me you're not interested at all in
> multilingual support in Drupal? As a reminder: http://drupal.org/node/29030
> Thanks,
> Jose A. Reyero

More information about the drupal-devel mailing list