[drupal-devel] [feature] Block query consolidation

I1uv4t4r drupal-devel at drupal.org
Tue Sep 13 17:19:15 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/30801
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/30801

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    block.module
 Category:     feature requests

First I want to say that I am astonished that those patches have made it
into CVS. Both the database and block.module patches don't work for me
and cause significant errors. Firstly, a primary key of module, delta
and theme makes MySQL throw up a 'key too long' error. Secondly, in
block.module an array is fetched from the database and then it is used
as an object, and the blocks are added to the region the function is
called for. You'll understand when you see my patch.

I must say that my patch is not tested thouroughly, but I believe it
impossible that the patches above are even tested at all, but tell me
if I'm wrong. The patch I provide is solely for block.module by the
way.

I1uv4t4r

Previous comments:

Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:12:03 +0000 : Allie Micka

The blocks module is running a separate query for each region, e.g.:

   SELECT * FROM blocks WHERE theme = 'bluemarine' AND status = 1 AND
region='left' ORDER BY weight, module
   SELECT * FROM blocks WHERE theme = 'bluemarine' AND status = 1 AND
region='right' ORDER BY weight, module
   SELECT * FROM blocks WHERE theme = 'bluemarine' AND status = 1 AND
region='header' ORDER BY weight, module
   SELECT * FROM blocks WHERE theme = 'bluemarine' AND status = 1 AND
region='footer' ORDER BY weight, module

Ultimately, we're going to need all of these so let's save a few
queries.  I have changed the query to:

   SELECT * FROM blocks WHERE theme = 'bluemarine' AND status = 1 ORDER
BY region, weight, module

And set all results to the static $blocks array on the first pass.

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:50:53 +0000 : m3avrck

Awesome patch! Noticed the version was set wrong so changed this to CVS.

Also, rerolled the patch, there was an extraneous $region in there no
longer needed. Reducing 4 queries is definetly a great start in
optimizing Drupal :)

Take this patch along with this one (might need to be updated now with
this query rewrite I'm thinking): http://drupal.org/node/27157 ... and
we'll have Drupal's loading of blocks pretty much maxed out with
optimizations, then on to the slooow alias ones... ;)

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:24:56 +0000 : Souvent22

Gotta love when something is just logical. Makes sense, and the patch
worked. I'd say this is ready. Get these blocks sped up a bit. This
coupled with 'block primary key' patch should make the blocks solid.

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:36:00 +0000 : Dries

Has this been benchmarked?  I would expect this to be faster, but it's
good practice nonetheless.  Feel free to throw that other block query
patch into the mix.

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:49:15 +0000 : m3avrck

Dries, I ran some simple benchmarks with the devel.module. Queries with
a default install were reduced from 125 to 121. Query times averaged
around 50ms and this was reduced to roughly 47-48ms. It's not a *huge*
savings, but on a a dev machine, with only one user, this is still good
nonetheless. I imagine on a hard hit Drupal site this would start to
scale up nicely with time/load savings. I'll reroll a patch that
combines the two in a few.

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:26:08 +0000 : Dries

This patch reduces the SQL overhead but adds some CPU-overhead and
memory-overhead.  Hence, it's better to benchmark the number of
requests/second (for example using ab or ab2) ...

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:35:54 +0000 : m3avrck

Ok here is an updated patch, along with the blocks table modification of
adding a PRIMARY KEY(module,delta). Spent sometime on #mysql discussing
best practice for this table and adding a primary key is the best bet.
Any indexes would not improve performance since this table will
probably almost never have more than 30 rows in it. The primary key
itself is slightly neglible as well, however, if any query were to
perform advanced queries on this table, the primary key would benefit,
so in best practice, we should have this as well.

I'll try to get some benchmarks up soon backing these simple changes.

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:49:34 +0000 : Allie Micka

This patch will not increase memory overhead unless a theme has one or
more regions that are defined but not in use.  Otherwise, the static
$blocks array will be identical with or without the patch applied.

The patch also does not increase CPU overhead because less code is
processed.  Without the patch, the entire query and parsing routine is
executed 5 or more times  (everything between  if
(!isset($blocks[$region])) { } ).   With the patch, the same code
executes only once.

But the proof is in the pudding.  I'm not sure what your standards are
for ab, but I like to do 1 serial check and 1 check with concurrency so
I can rule out performance gained by increased memory consumption, which
bogs down concurrent requests.

This patch appears to save an average of 9-12ms per request and
increase performance by .05 requests per second.

The relevant bits from my ab results are as follows:

Before Patching
ab -n 100 -c 1 http://localhost/
Time per request:       430.20 [ms] (mean)

ab -n 100 -c 10 http://localhost/
Time per request:       4631.00 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       463.10 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent
requests)

After Patching
ab -n 100 -c 1 http://localhost/
Time per request:       421.08 [ms] (mean)

ab -n 100 -c 10 http://localhost/
Time per request:       4510.90 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       451.09 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent
requests)

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:04:27 +0000 : m3avrck

Exactly running similar to what I was uncovering as well. So seems this
patch is ready to go, time to commit :)

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:27:32 +0000 : Dries

Thanks for the measurements!  Patch committed to HEAD.  Thanks.

Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:37:26 +0000 : asimmonds

With this patch committed, and updating my HEAD install with update.php,
I get the error
"Duplicate entry 'user-0' for key 1" from mysql.

I have two themes configured and there is a primary key (module,delta)
clash between the two themes.

Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:39:43 +0000 : m3avrck

Eeek!!! Forgot to test with multiple themes, this patches fixes the key
definition.

Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:41:46 +0000 : m3avrck

Noticed a typo in the PGSQL.

Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:00:19 +0000 : mathias

I can recreate this bug when running update.php but I question the
necessity of this index in the first place.  I couldn't find one SELECT
query in block.module that benefit from it.

Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:18:07 +0000 : Allie Micka

For what it's worth, the benchmarks I submitted did not include the
key/index patch, they only included the query consolidation patch.  The
performance impacts of the patch that hijacked this issue are unknown.

I'd suggest moving this issue back to http://drupal.org/node/27157 ,
where you can assess performance impacts and the back out or correct
that patch based on the results.  Alternatively, continue using this
issue but supply a few benchmarks to justify adding and/or removing the
block table indexes.

Thanks!

Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:56:32 +0000 : m3avrck

Just chatted with mathias on IRC.

I think there was some slight confusion and I apologize for this. The
other issue is related to this issue indeed as it affects the block
query and that is why Dries above mentioned to incorporate that fix
into this one. Then both of these were rolled into the latest HEAD.

However, a small oversight on my part, the key wasn't unique in all
situations, and this above patch rectifies this situation.

Now, in terms of performance, the key doesn't affect performance in any
measurable way. Rather, it adds data integrity and structure to the
table, and enhances other *unknown and future* queries. I chatted with
a knowledgeable fellow on #mysql a while about this table and it was
determined that a key *was* beneficial, even if any performance gains
were not.

In hindsight, maybe these patches shouldn't have been put together, but
as such, they were, and this above patches fixes this issue and brings
us back up to speed. So basically this patch "consolidates block
queries *and* adds data integrity to the block table". :)