[drupal-devel] [bug] XSS vulnerability in comments

Thox drupal-devel at drupal.org
Wed Sep 14 13:13:45 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/31197
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/31197

 Project:      Drupal
-Version:      4.6.0
+Version:      cvs
 Component:    comment.module
 Category:     bug reports

I imagine it is wiser to handle this with check_plain() in
theme_comment(), the same as it is handled in theme_node(). See
attached patch against CVS HEAD.

Thox

Previous comments:

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:12:05 +0000 : Mogurito

The source code interpreted by the browser, have html comment with the
subject by each comment. For example, if we post a comment like
'Hello', Drupal write in the source code . But the problem come when a
post is send with special characters like 'Hello XSS', the comment in
the source code will be closed, provocating that "Hello XSS-->" string
will be show in the page. If the "Hello XSS" string will be replaced by
a script, we can get a XSS Attack.

*Solution*
Analize the subject string and replacing the special characters (, ')
for (<, >, ")

*How*
Adding this lines to the function comment_validate_form:
$edit['subject'] = ereg_replace("", ">", $edit['subject']);
$edit['subject'] = ereg_replace("\'", """, $edit['subject']);

*Notes*
- Sorry, but my english is not very cool.

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:22:34 +0000 : Mogurito

*CORRECTION* (The comment is not complete)

The source code interpreted by the browser, have html comment with the
subject by each comment. For example, if we post a comment like
'Hello', Drupal write in the source code . But the problem come when a
post is send with special characters like '<'. If we post a comment