[drupal-devel] [task] Adding taxonomy terms has no feedback

m3avrck drupal-devel at drupal.org
Thu Sep 15 15:29:54 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/31151
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/31151

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    taxonomy.module
 Category:     tasks

New patch that fixes the goto() and sends you back to add another term,
displaying a message that a term has been added.

Tested with free tagging, this patch does not output any messages
saying "term 1 created", "term 2 created" , etc. All that is output is
"Page was created" so Morbus your issued is already addressed
elsewhere.

m3avrck

Previous comments:

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 02:08:31 +0000 : drumm

Adding a taxonomy term should trigger a drupal_set_message() so people
know somehting happened.

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:25:27 +0000 : Souvent22

Drumm,

I have it fixed/patched, but before I post, we got some options:

Current way is that after adding a term, it stays on the "add terms"
page....
So...
A) After adding, take me back to add terms for another one.
B) After adding, take me back to my list of terms for that vocab.
C) Give me a check box that says "Add another after sumbission"

During SAT's, they always said B was the right answer...or was it
C..hmm....ideas suggestions?

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:31:40 +0000 : m3avrck

I would say go with B. That is the general behavior in the rest of
Drupal, might as well be consistent. And the checkbox doesn't help that
much... extra click (I'm assumed off by default) and the user can just
click 'add' again anywho.

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:32:42 +0000 : Souvent22

B it is.

Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:07:19 +0000 : m3avrck

Tested patch, definetly improves usability of taxonomy module and adding
terms. Before, it wasn't clear if a term was added or not. This also
makes adding a term more consistent with how the rest of Drupal works
(e.g., taking you back to the main add term page instead of a blank
form wondering what just happened).

Fixed coding style of patch. Ready to go.

Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:12:34 +0000 : Morbus Iff

Somewhere along the line, I think "visual feedback when terms were
added" was actually REMOVED when the free tagging patch hit core.
Consider: you write a node, with free tagging enabled, and you create
10 new terms. Upon successful submission of a node, you get ten
messages saying new terms were added. That may be find for an
administrator, but I certainly wouldn't want a regular non-admin or
non-taxonomy-admin user seeing a message that they've added a new term.

Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:13:03 +0000 : robertDouglass

+1 for the message. I thought that going back to the add-term form was
by design, and personally, I like it. I often have to add lots of terms
in a row, to the same vocab, and this saves me a page load each time. So
-1 for drupal_goto('admin/taxonomy/' . arg(2));.

Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:14:39 +0000 : robertDouglass

RE Morbus's comment - we could check to see if the user is looking at
the admin/taxonomy/vid/add/term path and only show the message then.

Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:15:13 +0000 : Morbus Iff

(Toggling back to "needs work" per my comment in #5 - Rob's comment and
my own crossed in the stream).

Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:33:23 +0000 : Kobus

I am with Robert here (#6) +1 for the message, -1 for the drupal_goto.
The feature of adding several terms after each other is very handy.

Kobus