[drupal-devel] [feature] Admin option to toggle between headline, teaser, and full text in RSS feeds

walkah drupal-devel at drupal.org
Thu Sep 15 22:31:00 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/3986
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/3986

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    node.module
 Category:     feature requests

oh yeah, i forgot to mention one other little thing, that I think is
nice... if you're using the teaser length (as is the default) it
inserts a read more link in the description... which makes it obvious
to your readers that there is more to the post :)

(and a good way to drive traffic back to your site, i suppose)

walkah

Previous comments:

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 00:22:51 +0000 : Boris Mann

As the title says. It might be nice to add a feed.module to Drupal that
consolidates all feed-related info in one place, so that this can be
toggled for different types of nodes all in one place.

Tue, 14 Jun 2005 23:44:20 +0000 : Boris Mann

I love the fact that this has been active forever :P

One day we will have a feed.module to rule them all...

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:41:10 +0000 : Boris Mann

What the heck, let's make this critical. Google launched blogsearch [1]
today -- it reads feeds, so if you're not outputting full feeds, it
means Google's not indexing everything you put out.

Attached is an updated node.module which sets options for this, as well
as includes an option for RSS or Atom feeds (but doesn't implement this
yet). If someone could refactor and turn into a patch, we could still
get this into 4.7.
[1] http://google.com/blogsearch

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:58:08 +0000 : Dries

Would this be your first core patch? ;)

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:21:02 +0000 : Boris Mann

It would/will be if I were better at rolling patches against HEAD and
didn't stuff so much stuff into it...

...back to non-coding work.

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:00:21 +0000 : walkah

so, Boris is a wimp... but this is a pretty cool feature. attached is a
re-worked patch. all working 'n' stuff.

Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:51:34 +0000 : walkah

at Dries' request - here's an updated patch (where I hereby admit to
sneaking in some other things I'd wanted to do). Hopfeully it's worthy
to be snuck in at the deadline. (it's even still the 15th in .be for
another couple minutes).

So this patch does the following:

* adds a "feed settings" section to admin/settings where 2 new settings
are introduced:
  * number of items per feed
  * default length of feed descriptions (title only, teaser, full)
* patches all of core to obey the above - including the new aggregator
(out) feeds
* adds support for adding namespaces in _nodeapi('rss item') - which
means things like iTunes RSS and yahoo's media rss can be implemented
by the appropriate modules (i.e. audio.module)
* includes some additional info in the default node feed - specifically
the  element (links directly to comments) - and dc:creator - to show
node author information.

Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:09:43 +0000 : sepeck

+1 on the features.  This is one of those things that gets mentioned and
or requested in the forums enough and I sure would like it.