[drupal-devel] multihost vhost per-user apache

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Mon Sep 19 13:49:47 UTC 2005

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you had experiences with a multisite environment on
apache, where apache runs in a vhost environment, in such a way that each
vhost has a user and apache runs as that user.

We want to give all hosted sites full UID1 permissions on drupal, meaning that
they are allowed (for example) to make PHP pages and blocks.
One day there will be a user that abuses that, or tries to root the server
with that. So we need to limit the abilities of the user running PHP/drupal.
Each multisite will run on a single drupal multisite installation, but with
apache as a separate user.

It seems to work out fine, but I wonder if any of you people has more
experience with this, and knows if there are any oddities and quirks to be
expected.

-- Ber