[drupal-devel] Q: Custom node types in forums?

David Cohen drupal at dave-cohen.com
Tue Sep 20 19:24:21 UTC 2005

I posted this question <http://drupal.org/node/30980> some time ago and
got zero response.  I'm following up here because I'd like to hear from
Drupal experts before I pursue it any further.

Briefly (this repeats content from the link above), I've created a new
node type.  It's an event with dates, location and other data.  I want
the event discussed in my forums, but I don't want to create a new forum
entry in parallel with my event node.  I'd like my event node itself to
appear in the forums, as well as other places on the site (event
calendar, etc).

So my idea is that forums should include any node of any type, as long
as it is associated with a forum taxonomy term.  That is, if I create
any node at all and give it the taxonomy term Forum->Events, it will
appear in my Events forum.

The current forum package does not work this way.  It only shows nodes
of type 'forum' and has a forum table which includes all forum nodes.  I
think both of these 'limitations' could be removed.  Unless of course
there is good reason for them that I do not see.  Which is why I'm
asking now.

As I said in my earlier post, I'm willing to contribute to this if
others like the idea.  Thanks for your input,

-Dave