[drupal-devel] Drupal.org hardware

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 08:50:57 UTC 2005

Hello world,

- Thanks to Corey Shields (OSL) and Matt Rae (OSL), the two remaining
Dell 1850's are in place; they are called 'drupal2' and 'drupal3'
respectively, and are humming along in OSL's server room.  We're
already using 'drupal1' and 'drupaldb' (aka Sun-prise).

- drupal2 will act as a second web node along side drupal1, the
current web node.  drupal2 will be put in production shortly.  At
that point, drupal1 will go down for a while as they have to rebuild
the machine.  We need to enable NFS, LDAP, and rebuild some stuff in
32-mode because some stuff doesn't behave in 64-bit mode.  We won't
be running with two front-end web nodes for another week or so.

- OSL has put a gigabit switch for private networks in the same rack
our servers are in.  The second network interface will be plugged
into the gigabit switch so we'll have a very fast private network
between all of our machines.  Given we're going to run stuff over
NFS, this will be good.  From a security point of view this is great
too; as all data communication remains on our private network.

- drupal3 is up and running and has all the software installed to
host our mailing lists and CVS repositories.  Credits go to Matt for
installing everything.  Next up, is migrating the mailing lists and
CVS repositories from the old drupal.org server to the new drupal.org
infrastructure.  Kjartan is going to work on this in the near future.

So far the status update.