[drupal-devel] A collection of usability problems

Richard Archer drupal.org at juggernaut.com.au
Fri Sep 23 22:47:23 UTC 2005

At 9:10 PM +0200 23/9/05, Bèr Kessels wrote:

>That is also the reason why I am replying so strong in this thread. I very
>strongly feel that the (seemingly simple) choices in this thread will push us
>in one direction, which, I fear, will take away our biggest pro: being able
>to do anything.

Aah, but at the moment (IMHO) the admin interface is so confusing
that Drupal is almost at the point of not being able to do anything.
I probably wouldn't adopt Drupal in its current state for my needs,
which I think are really very simple.

The problems identified in this thread are glaringly obvious
examples  poor usability and there is really no reason not to make
some improvements in these areas. While these improvements might
not result in the perfect solution, that doesn't matter. As long as
they make Drupal easier to use and don't break the API they are
worth while.

There's a window of opportunity of... what, 2-4 weeks?... to make
some incremental improvements in the 4.7.0 release.

Ber's comments in this thread have expressed a desire to research
and design the optimal solution to usability problems. But there
is no reason why the base for the research into the 4.8.0 interface
can't be based on an improved 4.7.0 interface rather than the
existing, confusing 4.6.3 interface.

I think it's very telling that the OpenUsability project Ber has
created is labelled "Drupal 4.8.0", and that's where his focus is.

 ...Richard.