[drupal-devel] Admin theme

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Sat Sep 24 17:03:28 UTC 2005

Id like to pull this discussion out of the general usability improvement,
because I feel this needs LOT of thought before it even close to ready.

for me the admin theme has a few requirements:
* it must be able to disable when someone feels he/she is not helped with it.
* it must be overridable in a theme
* it must be profilable (a forum site has a different concept of what pages
are admin then a personal blog)

Some ideas I came up with to tackle this admin theme issue are:
* tackle this in the menu. Allow a flag/setting per menu entry 'IS_ADMIN' and
'ADMIN_SUGGESTED'.
* tackle this in a blocks/sections alike interface, where sets of regexps
define what pages are admin and what pages not.
* tackle this in a separate admin-theme UI, where one can select a pre-defined
profile (blog, forum site etc) then the profile will select for you what
pages  are admin and what not.

I personally dislike the last item. it is not flexible enough, yet I still
mention it, because it might be a starter for better ideas?

Ber