[drupal-devel] Help system redesign

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Sun Sep 25 04:25:55 UTC 2005

Hey Larry

Thanks for taking the time to update those who do not frequent IRC on
this important topic.

Some comments:

1. Use of <link>

The <link>blah</link> is not something I like to see. This is none
standard, even though it will not make  it in the final rendered HTML
as is. I prefer something that is syntactically valid, such as <div
class="drupalhelp">blah</div>.

A better option will be a call to a function: e.g. drupal_help('key');

2. XML
While everyone is using XML today, and it is very much in vogue, do we
really needed? Wouldn't a simple:

key1:text goes here
key2:other text goes here

Be just as adequate?

3. .po files

Where are the .po in all this? If we are using a modulename.es.help,
will that contain the help only, or all the strings? If it is the help
only, then translating a module will require two steps (one using the
locale string translation, and another using the .help file).
If it is for all strings, then does this replace t(), or just augments it?
Are we confusing people by having more than one interface?

Here is a late night thought: Can t() be extended so that if it is
passed an array, with 'key', then it would lookup a string that has
the key passed rather than just the string?

Something that ties into t() would be great, for the sake of ease of
use, unification of interface, and not confusing
developers/documentors...

Regards