[drupal-devel] Help system redesign

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Sep 25 16:30:04 UTC 2005

Wow this thread picked up steam today. :-)

To comment on all the replies to date so far, in no particular order:

1) I freely admit that my knowledge of PO files is virtually nill.  I suppose
they could serve as the delivery file format, but how many developers know a
PO editor?  I'd never even heard of one until about 2 weeks ago, but have
been writing PHP for over 5 years.  Amazon insists that the Docs team will be
writing all or nearly all of the help text anyway, but I still believe we
should make it as easy as possible for non-Docs Team developers to write
their own help text.  Remember, not all Drupal modules end up on drupal.org!
I mention XML as an alternative because developers are far more likely to
know XML than PO, I think.

2) I wasn't aware of the way in which translations are cached now.  If, as
Khalid suggested, we could modify t() to handle lookups using a short key as
well as the full English text, perhaps we could leverage the existing cache
mechanism and let it do whatever it does?  That would be necessary to achieve
the goal of getting big blocks o' text out of the .module file, as well as
making the matching faster (see next).

3) The statement that very-long string PO lookups is slow is based on comments
killes made in the aforementioned IRC discussion.  I will take his word on it
unless someone can show otherwise. :-)

4) I firmly believe that any new help system should be designed in such a way
as to encourage developers to provide context sensitive help.  Even if most
of the context sensitive help *text* is written by the Docs and Translation
teams, developers should be encouraged to include the hooks for it in the
first place.  I suspect they'll want to provide at least an effort at text
for it, if only to not ship code that reads "help goes here", so again some
developer-friendly way of creating said text should be included.  Again,
that's especially important for non-drupal.org modules that the Docs and
Translation teams won't get a crack at either way.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson