[drupal-devel] Does the Forms API give Drupal a model view controller architecture

neil at civicspacelabs.org neil at civicspacelabs.org
Mon Sep 26 21:46:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 12:13:25AM -0700, Kieran Lal wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2005, at 12:26 AM, Robert Douglass wrote:
>
> >I just think that calling something MVC doesn't make it inherently
> >better
>
> Right.  But the why Drupal isn't Object Oriented is a really useful
> document.  We might want to have a MVC one handy when technical
> decision makers start looking to get answers.
>
> An abstract discussion about MVC isn't what I am looking for.  A MVC
> comparison between Drupal and Ruby on Rails is.

I spent a couple weeks experimenting with Rails a few months ago. I
won't write a comparison now since Rails has probably changed a bit
since I last used it.

To summarize: Drupal and Rails are each good for different types of
webapps and different development styles. Sometimes Drupal will be the
right tool, sometimes Rails will be it, other times neither is good.

Right now the main concrete advantage of Drupal is that it runs
everyhwere. I expect Ruby will catch up.

-Neil