[drupal-devel] A collection of usability problems

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Sep 27 13:16:19 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 27 September 2005 03:40 am, Bèr Kessels wrote:
> On Monday 26 September 2005 22:37, Chris Messina wrote:
> > If your customers are confused by the admin section looking different
> > from the node editing pages, all you have to do is change the test
> > that looks for /admin in the directory name or also include
> > /node/*/edit.
>
> So, you are saying: if you don't like foo, open up your texteditor and
> change the sourcecode?
>
> Weren't you the one that was so extrmely against enforcing any kind of
> programming on users?

Heavens no.  An admin theme that requires code editing to remove would be
insanely bad. :-)

If we're dead-set on shipping an admin theme (something I still oppose), then
the easiest and most "correct" way would be to move section.module into core
(I'll try to get my patch posted tonight, really!) and ship with two sections
defined: admin/* and node/*/edit, both of which use some alternate theme but
default to OFF.  Then in the instructions somewhere say "If you want to use
the default admin theme, go to the sections page and enable those two.  Or
change them to suit your fancy."

We still maintain the default behavior of not confusing people with a
"randomly" changing theme, but those who want a standard admin theme have it
a few clicks away and those who want to customize the admin theme definition
can do so without leaving the admin section.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson