[drupal-devel] FYI: Quick test of Drupal 4.6.3 with MySQL 5.0.13

Syscrusher scott at 4th.com
Fri Sep 30 00:27:22 UTC 2005

Good evening!

This is just an FYI for anyone who is interested.

A couple of days ago, the folks at MySQL announced version 5.0.13, the first
"release candidate" (gamma test version) of the new MySQL 5 database.

It happens that I'm building a new server in a non-production setting and had
a strong need (for reasons not related to Drupal) to provide one of our
developers with a test bed for MySQL 5. I also happened to have an existing,
fairly minimalist (i.e., few add-on modules) Drupal 4.6.3 site that was up and
running under MySQL 4.1.x. So while giving the requesting developer what he
needed, I grabbed the opportunity for a bit of Drupal testing of my own.

I upgraded MySQL from 4.1.x to 5.0.13, recompiled PHP 5.x against the new
MySQL libs (using the ./config.nice script from the previous build), and ran
Drupal.

I can't claim to have exhaustively tested it, by any means, but I thought it
worth mentioning that at least superficially, all appears to be in order. I
have to point out that I am *not* using multilingual character sets, and that
is one area where MySQL 5.0 seems to differ from 4.1, so that bears further
testing. But, it appears that any problems with MySQL 5.0 are likely to be
small fixes rather than system-crushing roadblocks. I moved around the admin
and user menus, trying out all functions I could, and so far no problems.

Scott