[drupal-devel] what do you call a rose?

Steve Dondley sdondley at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 19:21:51 UTC 2005

Well, I would argue that "URL" is jargon.  I'd say at least 7 out of
10 people wouldn't know what that is.  How about "web page address" or
something similar?

There is a HUGE psychological effect that goes on when someone
encounters a technical term.  People feel stupid and have doubts about
their abilities even if they are extremely bright people.  It makes it
real tough to teach people when the jargon gets in the way.  Something
like "web page address" uses simple, pre-existing plain english and
though they might not understand the concept immediately, it's a hell
of a lot easier to digest.

--
Dondley Communications
http://www.dondleycommunications.com

Communicate or Die: American Labor Unions and the Internet
http://www.communicateordie.com