[development] Getting Around The Limitations of hook_db_rewrite_sql

Sohodojo Jim salmons at sohodojo.com
Mon Apr 3 18:28:52 UTC 2006

Dave Cohen wrote:

> I wrote a couple access control modules which might be good examples.  One
> based on users, roles and taxonomy <http://drupal.org/project/issues/53738>
> and a similar one for the category module
> <http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/modules/category/contrib/cac_lite/>.
> They both rely on the node_access table mostly, but for special cases use
> hook_db_rewrite_sql.

	I look forward to looking at your code related to use of db_rewrite_sql
hooks. The cac_lite link led to its code, but the tac_lite module is
probably easier to get at with http://drupal.org/node/53738.

	The node_visibility_bysite module [1] I am working on is closely related to
your work but within the context of a multisite, shared content
configuration. To get this working, I had to do some core module hacks
(minor but necessary). Necessary, that is, based on my need to get this
working ASAP compounded by whatever limits I have with regard to how best to
leverage the node_access hook mechanism.

	By looking at your code and mine, I can see if there is a way to eliminate
the hacks that I needed to get node_visibility_bysite working. It may even
be that cac_lite or tac_lite can be applied to the specific multisite
configuration that I am working on.

	--Sohodojo Jim--

[1] http://lists.drupal.org/archives/development/2006-04/msg00010.html

--