[development] check_markup() question

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Thu Apr 13 03:10:26 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 22:07 -0400, Moshe Weitzman wrote:
> > Filtering nodes is fine, but filtering content which are not nodes is a
> > little lacking, and being able make certain filters context sensitive in
> > that they are only used for certain types of content would make it much
> > more powerful.
>
> @Gordon - the best way to make progress on this issue to give use cases and
> ask people to solve them in an elegant way without enhancing filter system.
> If no elegant solutions arise, your proposal becomes more justified. Use
> cases are key.

What I want is to be able to in E-Commerce when E-Mails are sent to be
able to use php to develop more complex emails. Maybe even mime based
emails with the invoice attached.

Also ATM the generation of these emails is quite bad and very inflexible
when it comes to customising these for sending invoice information to
customers and being able to brand your shop.

My first though was to use the filter system since it has the php filter
and just more, plus for users this is something that they are use to.
When I started implementing this I found that the filter system is too
general and really can only filter content based entirely on the content
that is past. So when you are looking at the body from a node you cannot
make decisions on what to do with the content based upon other fields in
the node, without having to reload the node (and make sure that you have
the right node).

Also I though about creating an ecommerce filter which can be added to
"filtered html", but most of the time when sending the emails it will
not know which transaction it is working on, and if the content that is
being filtered is not a transaction then we don't need to run the
ecommerce filter.

I did think about adding a flag to say run as php, but then I would have
to deal with all the security issues that would normally be done by
core. and as I looked at this more I found I would be building a new
filtering system. Why should I do that we have a perfectly good one now.

If you have any suggestions, please tell me. but I think that adding
content based contexts for filtering will give the most benefit.

Gordon.