[development] Tagging and branching, again.

Steven Wittens steven at acko.net
Thu Apr 13 15:24:44 UTC 2006

A recent commit to core broke a lot of 4.7 contrib modules [1]. I wanted
to patch all contrib modules automatically to save authors the effort of
making this change individually. The plan was to take all 4.7 tagged
modules, apply the change, then apply the same diff to HEAD.

However, of the 74 files in HEAD which might need the change, only 16
are present in 4.7. And I know from looking through those 74 files that
there are plenty more that are 4.7 compatible (or at least intend to be).

So I revisited Dries' list of the Top 20 most downloaded projects from a
couple months ago [2]. The results are simply shocking. Of the 12
modules on the list, only 3 are available for 4.7. The top 3 modules all
appear to have 4.7 versions in HEAD, and none of them are tagged properly.

This has to change immediately. If Drupal 4.7.0 were to be released now
(which would be true if it weren't for some late-reported issues), there
would be a riot for all the modules that did not have clear 4.7
versions. And as my situation shows, it is a huge bother for all
developers too.

The tagging docs are still at:
http://drupal.org/node/17570
It takes at most a minute to do. Do so now.

Steven Wittens

[1] http://drupal.org/node/5371
[2] http://drupal.org/node/25704