[development] Tagging and branching, again.

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Thu Apr 13 16:29:17 UTC 2006

Gabor Hojtsy wrote:

>> It's not an error, it's intentional on my part. Now you've fucked *me* up.
>>
>> If you don't like my repository, that's fine. But I do not appreciate
>> you branching it when I was not ready for it it to be branched.
>>

> Then why did you tag it?
>
> Goba

I tagged it to have a pointer to a stable version that people can use.
It's a bit like how the betas are being done, only there isn't a tag,
they just tar one up and put it somewhere. We don't have a lot of
flexibility in the system.

If I branch the code, I now have to deal with putting fixes into two
different places. Drupal itself hasn't been branched for 4.7 yet. If I
work in HEAD, that work isn't going to go into 4.7 unless I take the
time and energy to port those to the branch. CVS is a pain in the ass
about branches, and I didn't want to deal with that hassle. Thus, I used
a tag. When 4.7 was actually stable, branched and released, at that time
I planned to branch. Why would I want to branch software for a version
that isn't even ready yet?

Now, I'm branched. Any changes I make to Views now require a bunch of
extra work, because branching can't be undone.