[development] [announcement] Integration of roundcube webmail in drupal

Keegan Quinn keegan at thebasement.org
Fri Apr 14 12:51:30 UTC 2006

Disclaimer:  I mean no offense to anyone who has developed
Drupal-mailing-list-related modules or software before.  It's
entirely possible that some patch or module would have done
everything I needed.  Please correct me if so!

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 04:36:47PM +0200, zeljko blace wrote:
> Is there any interest in Dev community to develop connections to any
> well known mailing-list software (especialy those that have nice web
> archive interface like Mailman)?

I don't know that I am "in the dev community" but I have done some
preliminary Drupal + Mailman integration.  If I could choose again, I
would instead avoid the Mailman abstraction layer and implement my
own list delivery system.  I think it likely that I wrote more code and
introduced more potential points of failure with the Mailman
solution than I would have otherwise.

That said, the mailing list system I did this for had the most
specific set of requirements I have ever heard of.  I ended up having
to disable virtually every Mailman feature which was not directly
related to delivering messages and catching bounces.  I don't have
a great deal of experience with other MLMs, but I would imagine the
situation would be very similar.

So, in conclusion, if you're interested in having a traditional
email list with simple bits of integration (ie. new Drupal users are
subscribed if they opt-in), integrating with an MLM might make a lot
of sense.

On the other hand, if you just need a means of delivering bulk
messages to Drupal users, consider doing it all natively in PHP.
(is that what og2list does?  help them out if so!)

HTH,

--
Keegan Quinn  <keegan at thebasement.org>  http://keegan.sniz.org

q="'" qq='echo q=\"$q\" qq=$q$qq$q \&\& eval \$qq' && eval $qq