[development] Generic Authentication Bridging

Gary (Lists) listout at accidentaltechie.org
Tue Apr 18 17:12:17 UTC 2006

"Gabor Hojtsy" wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> You mean you would like to reinvent authentication modules?

Nope.

"Chris Johnson" wrote:

> More generally, changes should also occur to allow authenticating the user
> against a configurable table.  This would require slightly more extensive
> changes in user_load() and user_save(), but should still be straight-forward.
>
> Gary, how does this fit with what you are planning?

Fits right in, Chris.  It sounds like we have some of the same needs,
particularly with hooking to intranet application layers which all have
their own authentication process.

I want a single wrapper, single log-in (one that actually works, not the
Drupal distributed auth stuff, which doesn't work.)

"Chris Johnson" wrote:

> It would still be nice to be able to specify the hash algorithm used in
> Drupal's own users table, perhaps even in a manner similar to how Bèr allows
> it for external tables in this module.

Yes. This is key...unless one can synchronize everything at some other
level.  Which...why?  That's why there's PHP. ;)

"Bèr Kessels" wrote:

> Op zaterdag 15 april 2006 13:43, schreef naudefj:
>> Before you start, please see if you cannot use (or extend) the "SQL
>> Authentication" module - http://drupal.org/node/50946
>
> I am the maintaner for that, feel free to contact me ahead (as in: before you
> come up with patches) with ideas and proposals.

Will do, Naudefj, but I'm not sure this module will do exactly what I need.

--
Gary