[development] Some issues and their fixes with Drupal 4.6.6 and PostgreSQL

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Thu Apr 20 15:08:29 UTC 2006

Gary (Lists) wrote:
> "Dries Buytaert" wrote:
>

>> So best to submit your patch to the issue tracker and to rally up some people
>> to thumb it up.
>>

> Respectfully, this sounds likek a problem.
>
> If a patch fixes a bug, and someone has taken the time to spot the bug, fix
> the bug, and make a patch, then why do they also then need to engage in
> personality politics to get the fix applied?
>
> This statement reads a bit like  "Well, even you fix a bug, we may not apply
> the fix if we don't like you."
>
> That's an odd method of development.  But it surely explains some things.

It's primarily about signal::noise ratio.

There is a lot for people to look at, and a small number of people who
can actually commit fixes to these bugs. They strive to make sure that
the fixes they commit are good, solid, strong fixes. One person's
opinion is not necessary the right course of action, and it takes a lot
less work on the committer to say "This is good" if there are several
people who are known and trusted behind the fix, than one person who is
behind it. It's not about playing politics, so much as it's about
ensuring that the committed patches are right.