5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Sun Apr 30 14:46:48 UTC 2006

Codenames are used all over the place.

Intel has it for the CPUs (Dothan, Willamette, Prescott)
Apple has it for OS (Panther, Tiger)
Microsoft (Chicago, Longhorn)

The only drawback I see from using it is that if some documentation
refers to the code name, and then the release number comes along,
and there is a disconnect.

We can avoid that by using both in the future, for example the release
4.8 becomes (4.8 Dreamy Druplicon) release, so there is no confusion.
Debian and Ubuntu use that scheme, and it works OK me thinks.

Oh, and Dreamy/Droopy/Drooly are bad names, and can be a turn off
for some prospective users, so let us keep the code  names simple
and neutral,  if we decide to use them (fish names, car names, bird
names, city names, ...etc.)

What are the other objections to code names.