[development] Q: CVS tags best practice

Dave Cohen drupal at dave-cohen.com
Sun Apr 30 20:57:37 UTC 2006

Hi,

Now that Drupal has branched DRUPAL-4-7 (a good thing), I have a question
about how to best keep my sites up to date.

Let's say I've checked out my Drupal with:

$ cvs -z6 -d:pserver:anonymous:anonymous at cvs.drupal.org:/cvs/drupal \
checkout drupal

Then in my modules directory, I've checked out one or more modules:

$ cvs -z6 -d:pserver:anonymous:anonymous at cvs.Drupal.org:/cvs/drupal-contrib \
checkout contributions/modules/ecommerce drupal/modules/ecommerce

Now that Drupal has the DRUPAL-4-7 tag, I want to go into drupal/ and run:

$ cvs update -dP -r DRUPAL-4-7

The trouble is, this deletes the ecommerce module, and any other module I've
checked out that does not have the DRUPAL-4-7 branch.

There was a post not long where someone had tagged (not branched) their module
has DRUPAL-4-7.  This caused confusion and was deemed a bad thing.  I now
think that is a very smart thing, and all modules should have that tag until
they see fit to branch (which should be now, since drupal has branched).  If
every module had the tag, it would solve my problem.  But is there a better
way?

I'm no CVS expert.  Is there a trick to get it to use the DRUPAL-4-7 tag only
where it exists, and the HEAD tag otherwise?

Thanks in advance for not responding "svn is so much better than cvs" or "bz
is so much better than svn" or "we wouldn't have this problem if we used my
cousin Sally's revision control system".  I know cousin Sally's RCS is better
than CVS, but until drupal.org uses it, I don't care.  ;)

-Dave