[development] A stance on Fantastico De Luxe

Steven Wittens steven at acko.net
Tue Aug 1 01:12:42 UTC 2006

Recently there have been many topics on Drupal.org about broken installs
on Fantastico De Luxe, the cPanel application. Personally, I dislike
Fantastico a lot and think it's bad for Drupal:

- It's bad for the admins, because they get a broken, outdated install
without going through our usual documentation.
- It's bad for the community of support people, because there is an
influx of support questions about non-standard Drupal installs
- It's bad for the community at large, because it makes Drupal look
buggy and insecure

I wrote a text about it and after gathering feedback about it on
#Drupal, it was clear that many Drupal people agreed with me on this.
So, I posted it to Drupal.org and got a digg story going to spread the word:
http://drupal.org/forum/fantastico-de-luxe (the clean URL is for extra
google points)
http://digg.com/software/Beware_of_Fantastico_De_Luxe

Note that the emphasis is on the fact that using Fantastico gets you an
insecure / outdated site. We do need to make it sound like we're
concerned for our users and not just slamming Fantastico blindly.

If you agree with these points, please digg up the article so we can
spread some awareness about this.

Steven Wittens