[development] Views argument builder

Sam Tresler sam at treslervania.com
Tue Aug 1 17:14:04 UTC 2006

Michelangelo Partipilo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been thinking about something like this for a while since drupal
> search doesn't fit my needs.
>
> I thought I could have a basic view and use a form to tweak it a
> little, change the sorting, price range, etc.
>
> I'll keep an eye on your development.
>
>> Mostly, I want to know if this is something people want?  Thanks in
>> advance.
>>
>> --Tresler

    I've been exploring my ideas about this and need to next plot it all
out as the idea has grown some.
    Basically, you can create views through calling views_build_view()
I *think* what I want to do is create a module that can, at one page
create a Content type via CCK, a View for it via the views.module, and
the "search" form that can pass filters to the View.
    The benefits of this would be a centralized interface that can do a
common set of tasks at one place, BUT using the seperate modules, so you
could later use the view, content type, and custom form elsewhere.

The use I have in mind is for easy classifieds with multiple search
criteria per form.
    E.G. Price Field from CCK can be searched through Views and its
filters by a min_price and a max_price.  The filters are passed to teh
View upon form submission, not set in the View itself.
          Later the same CCK and View can be used to generate a block
regardless of the search form.

I think there is a strong benefit of centralizing these components,
while keeping htem seperately tweak-able..

Input?

--Tresler