[development] Code review for most downloaded modules

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Wed Aug 2 14:17:03 UTC 2006

Op woensdag 2 augustus 2006 15:42, schreef Khalid B:
> Here is an idea, it may not fly because it is "grunt work" and
> resource intensive, but how about we get a few people to
> do what Morbus did to the top 10 (or 50 or whatever) downloaded
> modules?

It is not exactly fun. Nor rewarding. Turning this into issues is even less
fun, especially since the topX modules all seem to have rather large issue
queues with lots of rather pressing issues.

Dries once made some automated scripts which could be found under your project
page. Where did they go?

Using these reports is a first big step. I doubt half of the developers were
aware of these code reports, let alone looked at it on a regular basis!
I -personally- was not even aware that they were gone! So much for good
intentions :)

> This can be a step towards the top tier/certified/gold modules?

In railfrog we have this policy that nothing gets into the stable branch
without unit-tests.  (Same in the blog system typo[1]) Without passing these
tests, but also without creating these tests. This might sound like an awfull
high barrier, in fact it /is/ an awfull high barrier. But AFAIK it is a
required first step (demanding tests and passing tests) when you want to
offer Real Quality.

So, some maths: